Monday, June 27, 2011

PSUth Missions Trip

well we are back (and settled all in at home) from a week out in Brinkhaven, Ohio where Janet, Darryl and I took 9 kids from our church's youth group (fondly called PSUth - I always thought that was such a clever name for Prince Street's youth group) for a missions trip to the Joy Of Living Camp. We left last Sunday (after we were commissioned in 1st service) and returned shortly before 7:00 on Friday evening. The experience was one that I had been apprehensive about (transitioning over from guiding 5 year old children to teenagers is actually a big mental adjustment if it is not something you are use to), but I soon realized that all of my woes and worries were for nothing (should have known that before we left for the trip considering we were going out there to do God's work, but sometimes, God, I guess I am just a little slow on the uptake hehe) Our nine teenagers (Jim, David, Shannon, Austin, Joey, Emily, Maddy, Samantha, and Shontay) ranging in age from 12 to 16 were some of the hardest working (AND non complaining) kids this side of the Mississippi LOL Their serving nature and selfless actions made me so proud that some nights sitting around the campfire and reflecting on that day it made me a little misty eyed.

Our camping village for the week

Austin ripping apart a picnic table to take it up to the burn pile

cleaning out the rain gutters

painting the horse barn

the kids taking a break from clearing brush

I got to drive the four wheeler for the day

Maddy going for a horse back ride (afterwards she asked if she could have one! haha)

the kids had a mud fight


the van ride home
 As you can tell, we did a lot of work (and a lot of playing) while we were out there. We cleaned gutters, painted a horse barn, and did lots of brush clearing (on a quarry site, fields, and trails). We also were given the opportunity to interact with the children by playing games with them and worshipping each night at chapel together.
I cannot wait to go back next year and see what the experience will hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment