Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Verbally Challenged

So, as long as I can remember I have had issues using incorrect words for what I really mean to say. Oh, when I try it is pretty close to the correct pronunciation & word that I want to use, but it is just a little off. And God love my husband and child, but they are pretty good at translating what word I really want to say (now that is a useful talent!)
Dan's favorite example of one of these such goof ups was when we first started dating. We were driving home to visit my parents for the weekend and I was pointing out local points of interest. We were driving down Hometown Hill just past Keich Motors and Dan pointed out the trailer parked in the empty lot on the right hand side. I proudly announce, "Oh that is the rotary"
"The rotary, oh yeah?" Dan asks (he knew I didn't have exactly the right word at this moment) "And what does the rotary do?"
Again, without missing a beat "It rotarizes stuff.......(after a very long pause and a super cute boyfriend who was trying his hardest not to laugh at me)...."I don't have the right word do I?"
"Nope, sorry babe - It's a NOtary"

Yep, that's my word disease. Along with MANY other examples.......

Well recently I have noticed that I think Maddy is becoming a product of her environment....oh yeah!
Just this week:
We are trying to set up a double date movie night with Maddy, her boyfriend, Maddy's BFF and her boyfriend. Maddy's boyfriend, Gabe's parents will be out of town this weekend so he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to go. The ensuing conversation is what took place:
"Mom, Gabe doesn't know if he can go to the movies cause his parents are going out of town"
"Oh, really? Where to?"
"Someplace that starts with a D"
(wow, thanks Captain Vague) "Umm, Delaware?"
"No, no, that's not it. I think it is........Denmark. Yeah, I think it Denmark."
"Are you sure?!?!" (can you imagine what kind of questioning look my face now has?)
"Yeah, Denmark"
"Ooooook" (gotta pick your battles, right parents? But, honestly, Lord only knows maybe it is Denmark and they going on a loooong weekend)

Last night, we are trying to figure out the details of our movie night on Friday and she says:
"Oh, Gabe's parents are going to Denver"
"That is no where near Denmark!" (phonically or geographically)
"I was close! I got the first letter right!" LOL

Maybe she isn't verbally challenged, maybe she is geographically challenged
All I know is - it happens to the best of us....

No comments:

Post a Comment