Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"The Sky is Falling"

Back in June - Janet, Darryl, & I took 9 teenagers from our church's youth group (PSUth) out to Brinkhaven, Ohio to spend a week of serving the Lord at Joy of Living (JOL) Camp. (Have you read that post? Our Missions Trip)
As is customary to most things in life, our missions trip quickly obtained several "inside jokes"
  • I missed the dogs more than my hubby (not really Dan, I promise! haha MWAH)
  • Austin likes my chair more than me
  • It only rains when Prince Street is at JOL
 and many more.......
The biggest one, though, was that everyone was given an animal name based on looks, personality, voice, etc...
Darryl was Chicken Little (compliments of Emily)



I don't know where the idea came from, but once it was out, there was no getting rid of it. The name stuck like glue. Daryl was prompted all week to make the "signature face" (shown above) and made to promise that if an acorn fell on his head he would run up to the dining hall, ring the bell, and proudly announce "The sky is falling!" Well, now the kids were on a mission to find an acorn to throw at Darryl's head (the odds were just too great that it was not going to be a natural occurrence). The problem: no acorns! 
"Can we throw a rock Mother Tab?" 
"Um, definitely not!"
"How come?"
"Because it is a rock! And because I think that would be cheating!"

Fast forward 2 months and the kids have devised a new plan: Let's take an acorn to Rhodes Grove and chuck it at Darryl then! (btw, someone needs to tell me how this idea went down since I was not at Rhodes Grove)

Tonight, our youth group is back from summer vacation for our 1st night of Powerhouse and I have the perfect thing for a snack.....



Oh, that's right your eyes are not deceiving you - cookies that look like acorns!!!
Made with hershey kisses, mini Nilla wafers, and peanut butter morsels
(if you heat the cookie up a lil - in microwave or oven - the kiss will stick right to it. Had to get brown icing gel to make the morsel stick on the top though)

He is gonna LOVE 'EM 




1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh...those look yummy!

    My dad has a thing for oaks & related items, so I think I might have to make these for him. Too bad his birthday was three months ago.

    And I was at Rhodes Grove, but I never heard anything about the sky falling, so I'm guessing their evil plot failed. But I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete