Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nana's lozenge cake

How many of you have those precious recipes that have been passed down through the generations and now they sit in your recipe box or somewhere stuck inside a cookbook. Sometimes we don't need to even look at these recipes to cook or bake them, we have them memorized. Or maybe there is no recipe for something that you make because your grand mother or great grandmother measured in "a pinch" or "till it looks right".
Tonight after supper has been cleaned up, I am making one of these such recipes. It has been passed down from my great grandmother (aka Nana) and it is called lozenge cake made from those little pink lozenge candies


Do these little candies look familiar? 15 of them have been setting in one cup of milk dissolving over night in my fridge.

Here is the rest of the recipe:

Nana's Pink Lozenges Cake
15 Pink lozenges                                  1 cup of milk
2 eggs                                                  1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of shortening                            2 cups flour
 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

  1. dissolve/soak 15 pink lozenges in 1 cup of milk overnight (you might have some little slivers left so pick them out before you mix your batter together)
  2. Mix together all the rest of the ingredients
  3. Add dissolved lozenge milk
  4. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 mins

I am making them for my "kids" as their Easter snack on Thursday, so I wanted to icing them and put a little jelly bean on top to go with :-)


now just need to icing the other 22                


5 comments:

  1. This article was VERY helpful for all of my lozenge needs. The only thing I would recommend is saying that some people measure in "a petite dabble" v.s a pinch. Other then that I have had a good time reviewing this and will recommend to other lozenge enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consume lozenges frequently and have never heard of a lozenge cake I shall have to try this. I second the previous comment about the "petit dabble", a pinch is just not specific enough (some people have very large thumbs). In addition when I consume a cupcake I like to lick the frosting from the top, is this possible with these too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. I love the swirly background is reminding me of candy shoppes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to try them as well. My only question about the recipe is on your comment that stated "I am making them for my "kids" as their Easter snack on Thursday, so I wanted to icing them and put a little jelly bean on top to go with :-)". Are you stating that you have to have "kids" to make theses? You also stated that "so I wanted to icing them and put a little jelly bean on top". Are you talking about icing your "kids" or the lozenge cakes? I would assume your are taking about icing your "kids" purely on the fact that that would make the most sense out of the two. Please clarify so I can make these yummy sounding lozenge cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easter thursday I am prefering sit down a relax while chewing upon lozenge after lozenge in lawn chair, I do not believe that it is a being good Idea to bake if you are about to relaxing, it can make your cakes hard. Is it possible to make these cakes during other time of year, or is this a specific to easter thing?

    ReplyDelete